The history of the Instituto de Acuicultura Torre de la Sal (IATS) dates back to 1949 when
Buenaventura Andreu, Julio Rodríguez Roda and Manuel Gómez Larrañeta founded the Grao
de Castellón laboratory. Later, in 1957, this laboratory would become part of the Fisheries
Research Institute, with its headquarters in Barcelona. In 1978, after a reorganization of the
CSIC, the four research centers that were dependent from Barcelona (Blanes, Cádiz, Castellón
and Vigo) were transformed into independent Institutes.
During the 1960s, research focused on different aspects of fisheries in the region, until director
Pedro Suau decided to reorient studies towards aquaculture. It is then when an agreement is
reached between the CSIC and the Council of the province of Castellón for the construction of
the new Aquaculture Institute of Torre de la Sal. Finally in 1972, being Director José María
SanFeliu, the agreement between the Board of Trustees Juan de la Cierva and the Provincial
Council was signed.
The works, which began in 1976, were officially completed in 1979. Throughout the 1980s,
different lines of research in aquaculture of fish, molluscs and crustaceans were consolidated
in the IATS with the addition of six new researchers. Since then, the incorporation of personnel
has been constant and progressive, reaching currently the figure of 13 researchers on staff.
In 1996, the IATS began a profound remodeling and expansion process leading to the
adaptation of its infrastructures to the new needs of the aquaculture sector.
José María SanFeliu Lozano (1970-1979; 1979-1983)
Manuel Carrillo Estévez (1983-1990)
Pilar Álvarez Pellitero (1990-1994)
Francisco Amat Doménech (1994-2000)
Jaume Pérez Sánchez (2000-2011)
Juan Carlos Navarro Tárrega (2011-2015)
José Miguel Cerdá Reverter (2015 until now)